Apr 25, 2020
On Saturday, 25th April at 11am CHIS will dedicate a commemorative plaque to honour Dr Beryl Corner, OBE, JP, MD, FRCP, FRCPCH, MD (Hon) Bristol, DSc (Hon) UWE at Elton House, 1 Rodney Place, Clifton.
Dr Corner became the first paediatrician in the S.W. England when she was appointed, aged only 26, Honorary Physician to the out-patients at Bristol's Royal Hospital for Sick Children. In 1946 she opened at Southmead Hospital the first Special Care Baby Unit in the UK.
She was very active in other areas of Bristol life including being director of Bristol Music Club, a magistrate and a governor of her old school, Redland High.
Dr Corner also worked for WHO and the British Council in India and the Far East and was president of the Women's International Association.
Elton House was the Corner family home where Dr Corner lived for over 50 years. She died in 2007 aged 95.
After the dedication ceremony and some short speeches there will be a small reception for CHIS members. Dr Corner's niece, who lives in America but stayed at Elton House when young, plans to attend.